Time files – it’s entering May, the second phase of the circuit breaker. We can’t believe that our year just flew by just like that! #Stayathome seems to have to be the norm for everyone but it doesn’t mean that it got to be lifeless and less entertaining than usual. Why not pamper yourself and your love ones at home with a surprise Nyonya Kueh Pie Tee party for a #stayhome high tea. It is very simple in preparing and it is an all-time favourite delight for all ages.
Everything can be prepared in advance. So you can just sit back and relax, watching your family enjoy themselves making their own little Pie Tee. We simply love to serve this alongside Popiah as well!
Kueh Pie Tee doesn’t take much skill if you follow the steps here – that is, use ready-made Kueh Pie Tee cups. Now that you have the shells and the filling, it’s time to put them together. Please do not assemble ahead of time as the filling will make the pie tee shells turn soggy. Only prepare as many as you want to serve and serve immediately. Top the pie tee shells with turnip filling. Few strips of the omelette strips and sprinkle some prawn on top and then garnish with 1-2 cilantro leaves.
We were beyond thrilled when we popped this cute pie tee inside my mouth. It’s been so long! The memory of us as a kid eating this when I was Medan just flashed right in front of me! So good and satisfying!
Trying out making your very own version of Kueh Pie Tee, you could never head out to get it from the store. Take a photo of your version, send us an email, tag us on Instagram, anything. We love to see you trying out our recipe!
Nyonya Kueh Pie Tee
20 kueh pie tee shell
- Kueh Pie Tee Filling
450g of turnip (remove skin, sherdded)
1 carrot (remove skin, sherdded)
1/2 raddish (remove skin, sherdded)
50g of dried shrimp (shoaked in hot warm, minced)
1 tbsp of minced garlic
3 tbsp of minced shallot
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of white pepper
3 tbsp of water
- Other ingredients you can include in the filling
2 eggs (beaten and made into omelette and cut into long strips)
freash crab meat (stir-fry till cook)
bean spout (cook in hot water for a minute, drain)
green bean (stir-fry till soft, sheeddred it)
500g of prawn ( deshell, cooked and halved) – keep the shell for the filling
2 chinese sausage (soak in hot water, remove casing, cut into long strips and stir-fry)
roasted crushed penunt
- Kueh Pie Tee Filling
- Heat the oil, stir-fry the prawn shell. Add water to create prawn stock, leave aside for use. Heat the oil again, add in minced garlic, add the shallot and minced shrimp. Stir-fry it till fragrance.
- Add in the carrots, turnip, raddish and cook it till soft. Add in the prawn stock and continue boil for another 5 minutes.
- Now add in the seasoning and continue frying until it is slightly dry. Leave at the side to cool.
- Assemble the Kueh Pie Tee
- Scoop about 2-3 Tbsp of the Kueh Pie Tee mixture into the shell. Add strips of egg omelette, and 1-2 sprigs of fresh coriander leave if you choose to use. Enjoy!