Living as a Chinese household, our family cooked traditional Chinese dishes all the time. During our break at home, we decide to exchange recipes with our mom. Where we teaches her to do some bakery and she shared some Chinese recipes with us. Our mom decided to share something light and healthy – The Steamed Fish Roll with Roasted Garlic in Fish Broth.
We’ve always liked that this dish had strong yet clean flavours. Since it was steamed, it was also relatively healthy and acted as a good counterfoil to the much oilier that you may have.
Homemade Fish Broth
This recipe required using the homemade fish broth. As the homemade fish stock is essential in my home cooking we decided to prepare more for later usage too. Apart from the flavour, it is packed with nutrients that our body requires. It makes a great soup base for noodles, rice vermicelli, pasta or it can be served as a daily nourishing soup with added tomatoes and vegetables.
All you need is 400g fishbone, 10g of old ginger and some peppercorn. All you need is to rinse fishbone with ginger in a pan with a little bit of oil. Add peppercorn and hot water, simmer for 30 mins over high heat till a white broth. Strain and set aside. As simple as it sounds.
It is always nice to learn from our mom and we hope that you enjoy this recipe too. Leave a comment below and let us know if you like this.
Steamed Fish Roll with Roasted Garlic in Fish Broth
Exquisite dish that is full of flavour and texture – perfect to serve as a main course at a dinner party.
100g baby bok choy
250g red grouper meat, sliced
some coriander stalks
2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Fish Broth
10g old ginger
a bit of peppercorn
2 litres of water
20g lotus root, thinly sliced
- Prepare the fish broth: Rinse fishbone with ginger in a pan with a little bit of oil. Add peppercorn and hot water, simmer for 30 mins over high heat till a white broth. Strain and set aside.
- Season red grouper with some salt and pepper, roll up with enoki and coriander stalks, steam for 3 minutes till fully cooked.
- Deep-fry garlic till golden brown, cook with 200ml of fish broth for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add lotus root, baby bok choy and tomatoes, cook briefly and turn off heat.
- Pour fish broth over steamed fish slices. Serve.