If you’re a burger enthusiast, get ready to embark on a culinary journey that will leave your taste buds dancing with delight. Today, we’re diving into the world of mouthwatering Beef Burgers topped with a sweet and savoury twist – caramelized onions. This classic combination never fails to deliver an explosion of flavours that’s simply irresistible. So, fire up the grill, and let’s create the ultimate Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions.
Preparing the Beef Patty
There are many ways to prepare the beef patty and we like our simple, season with salt and peppers and a little crisp with some breadcrumbs. When making the patty we use the most popular method – thumb indentation in the middle.
About this method: This sweet and simple method uses the same theory as the dimple and indentation methods: The burger patty is shaped as usual and a thumb is pressed into the centre to make a small indentation.
Results: Of the three denting methods, this was also the fastest with the best results. Pressing a thumb into a burger patty doesn’t require any special shaping or make for a wildly shaped patty while cooking. It gave the burger just a little bit of shrinking leeway to prevent a ball-shaped burger. Still, it didn’t make for an extra-juicy, crispy, or tender burger either.
Takeaways: This is one of those take-anywhere-with-any-burger tips (even veggie burgers!) that every cook should keep in their back pocket. It doesn’t result in the best burger, but it makes any burger slightly easier to cook.
How to make Caramelized Onion?
Caramelizing onions is a straightforward yet rewarding process that elevates the humble onion into a rich, sweet, and deeply flavorful topping or ingredient.
To begin, take two large onions, either yellow or red, and slice them thinly into half-moons. In a wide, heavy-bottomed skillet or frying pan, heat up two tablespoons of butter, olive oil, or a combination of both over medium-low heat. Once melted and heated, add the sliced onions, stirring to coat them evenly in the fat. The slow-cooking magic begins as the onions soften and turn translucent, typically after 15-20 minutes. At this point, a pinch of salt can be added to assist in moisture release.
If you desire a touch more sweetness, sprinkle one to two teaspoons of brown sugar and mix it in. Continue to cook and stir the onions patiently. Depending on your desired level of caramelization, this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour. Taste as they cook, adjusting the seasoning as needed with more salt and pepper. When they reach a beautiful golden-brown hue, remove them from the heat. Keep in mind that the onions will continue to cook slightly from the residual heat, so don’t overdo it. These caramelized onions are a versatile addition to a wide range of dishes, adding depth, sweetness, and flavour to your culinary creations.
Using Applewood Bacon
- Flavorful Smoke Profile: Applewood is known for its mild, sweet, and smoky flavour. When used to smoke bacon, it imparts a delicate, slightly fruity aroma and taste. This unique smokiness adds depth and complexity to the overall flavour of the bacon and, by extension, your burger.
- Balanced Sweetness: Applewood’s natural sweetness complements the savoury and salty elements of bacon, creating a well-balanced flavour profile that pairs wonderfully with beef and other burger toppings.
- Less Overpowering: Compared to some other types of wood used for smoking bacon, like hickory or mesquite, applewood is milder. This means it’s less likely to overpower the taste of your burger and other ingredients, allowing them to shine through.
- Versatile: Applewood bacon’s versatile flavour profile makes it a great choice for various dishes beyond burgers, from breakfast to salads and sandwiches.
Ultimately, the choice of bacon, including whether to use Applewood bacon, depends on your personal preference and the flavour profile you want to achieve in your burger. If you enjoy a subtle, sweet, and smoky flavour, Applewood bacon can be an excellent option to enhance your burger’s taste.
This Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions is a true culinary masterpiece. The juicy beef patty pairs perfectly with the sweet and savoury caramelized onions, creating a symphony of flavours that will have your taste buds begging for more. Whether you’re firing up the grill for a weekend barbecue or simply satisfying your burger cravings, this recipe is a must-try. So, grab your apron and get ready to savour the ultimate burger experience!
Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions
- For the Beef Patties:
1 pound of ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 burger buns
- For the Caramelized Onions:
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Burger Toppings:
4 slices of your favourite cheese (cheddar, Swiss, or gouda work well)
2 sliced applewood bacon
- Prepare the Caramelized Onions:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter and olive oil.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and sauté them for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the onions and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a beautiful golden brown and caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the Beef Patties:
- While the onions are caramelizing, it’s time to prepare your beef patties. Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions.
- Gently shape each portion into a patty, being careful not to overwork the meat. Season both sides of each patty with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grill the Beef Patties:
- Preheat your grill to high heat. Place the beef patties on the grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or adjust the cooking time to your preferred doneness.
- During the last minute of cooking, place a slice of cheese on each patty and close the grill lid to melt the cheese.
- Assemble the Burgers:
- Toast the burger buns on the grill for a minute or until they’re lightly browned.
- Spread your choice of condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, or barbecue sauce) on the bun if desired.
- Layer lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, and pickles on the bottom bun.
- Place a cheesy beef patty on top of the veggies.
- Finally, generously spoon the caramelized onions over the patty and crown it with the top bun.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve your Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions immediately while it’s still hot and the cheese is gooey.
- Don’t forget some crispy fries or a side salad to complete the meal.