Celebrate the Lunar New Year with the exquisite Steamed Scallop Vermicelli – a dish that epitomizes prosperity and longevity. Delight in the tender sweetness of scallops expertly steamed to perfection and intertwined with silky vermicelli noodles. The vibrant colors mirror the festive spirit, while the aromatic blend of herbs and sauces adds an elegant touch. May each bite usher in good fortune and joy as you savor the richness of the new year? Let us get it started!
How do you cook the Scallops?
To clean scallops, carefully separate the meat from the shell using a small knife. Save one-half of the shell for later use. For the meat, add approximately 2 teaspoons of starch, allowing the sand to settle at the bottom of the bowl. Rinse the scallops thoroughly in running water until impeccably clean.
Now, set up the steamer. Begin by placing the saved shell on it. Assemble the ingredients one by one in an artful arrangement – start with the vermicelli, followed by the scallop meat, garlic sauce, and chopped chili peppers. When placing the vermicelli, create a swirl to prevent it from collapsing during steaming. Soak the vermicelli in hot water for at least 10 minutes for optimum softness.
Here’s a tip: refrain from scooping too much garlic sauce oil initially to avoid excess without seasoning the remaining scallops.
Substitute if you lack scallop shells
While the dish achieves its visual charm with scallop shells, it’s important to note that the absence of shells won’t affect the taste.
If you’re unable to obtain scallop shells from the fish counter, don’t worry – this dish can still be prepared without them! Opt for a simple alternative by cooking all the vermicelli and scallops together on a small plate. Spread the softened vermicelli on the plate, layer on the scallops and garlic, and follow the remaining instructions as usual for an equally delicious culinary experience.
Can you believe they disappeared in just two minutes, perhaps carried away by the wind? We love discovering and sharing simple recipes that you can make at home. They make for a healthier option than store-bought products. Follow us on our Instagram to get the latest updates.
Steamed Scallop Vermicelli
12 half-shelled fresh scallops
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
1 small bunch of bean vermicelli, around 30g
1 tablespoon cooking oil
8 middle size garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped chili pepper
2 spring onions, white part and green part separated and finely chopped
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt
- Begin by softening the vermicelli in a large bowl with 1 cup of boiling water.
- Extract the scallop meat from the shell, treat it with starch to remove any sand particles, and wash it thoroughly under running water. Place the cleaned meat in a bowl and marinate it with cooking wine for approximately 10 minutes.
- Carefully clean the shell with a brush.
- Set up the steamer by adding water to the wok. Place the cleaned shells on the steamer.
- Arrange a suitable amount of softened vermicelli on each shell, then place the marinated scallop meat back onto the shells one by one.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add the white part of chopped spring onions and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and add soy sauce, salt, and sesame oil, mixing well to create the garlic sauce oil.
- Spoon the prepared garlic sauce oil over the scallops, and sprinkle with chopped chili pepper.
- Bring the water in the steamer to a boil, then continue cooking the scallops for 8 minutes. Transfer them to serving plates, garnish with chopped spring onions, and drizzle with hot oil heated in a separate pan with visible waves on the surface. Serve the steamed scallops hot and enjoy!