Ever since our visit to Lucali BYGB for a birthday celebration, we were surprised with a Rice Krispie treats as a birthday cake. We are amazed with it as it is crispy and not overly sweet compared to those we have before. Years back we gave it a try and is a total failure, with this successful example we decided to give it a challenge again.
After a few try we got the “perfect” recipe for the Rice Krispie treats. The ratio of cereal to marshmallow makes or breaks a rice krispie treat– literally! For extra gooey and buttery rice krispie treats, use this recipe. Adding a little extra butter and marshmallow, plus a splash of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt makes all the difference.
5 ingredients is all you need
You only need 5 simple ingredients for these no-bake squares.
- Butter: Like all good desserts, the base of great rice krispie treats is butter! You will need 4 tbsp of butter.
- Marshmallows: These krispie treats are extra marshmallow-y without falling apart. You need 4 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Vanilla Extract: This is an easy addition that turns a good rice krispie treat into a great rice krispie treat. You only need 1 teaspoon, but what a difference it makes!
- Salt: Salt is another little addition I add to my rice krispie treats. Like vanilla extract, salt is a super convenient ingredient and you don’t need much of it. Just a pinch adds a depth of flavor otherwise absent from crispy rice treats.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: What’s a crispy treat without rice krispies cereal? We uses 2 boxes for this recipe. The best!
How do we make it?
Melt the butter and marshmallows in a big pot on the stove, then remove from heat and gently stir in the remaining ingredients.
Quickly add in your krispie rice into the marshmallow mixture and mix it well. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula (greasing it lightly helps), gently spread mixture to fit the pan. Lightly grease the back of a flat spatula and very gently press the mixture down into the pan. Do not pack it down with force, just lightly press down so it’s secure in the pan.
While everyone stops here and allow treats to set for at least 1 hour at room temperature and up to 1 day. Cover tightly if leaving out for more than a few hours. We added rainbow rice on top of the treats to spice it up a little. Do it as soon as you pack the Krispie rice treats as you will want them to stick well.
The new way to make a birthday cake
Does this remind you of the Confetti Birthday cake? We added rainbow rice on top of the treats to spice it up a little. Do it as soon as you pack the Krispie rice treats as you will want them to stick well. After it is all cool down, cut it into smaller block and top it with a candle and now you will have the unqiue birthday “cake” !
Rice Krispie Treats are eaten very quickly by our family but here are some guidelines for storing them. They will last 2-3 days at room temperature in an air-tight container before they start to get stale. You can extend that timeline a few days if you store them in the refrigerator and then take them out about 30 minutes before you eat them.
Rainbow Krispy Rice Bar
3/4 cup (170g; 1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
two 10 ounce bags (11 heaping cups) mini marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
9 cups (270g) crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment. I always use a very light mist of nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a very large pot. Once melted, add the marshmallows. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove from heat, then immediately stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Finally, fold in the cereal. Make sure each piece of cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Using a rubber spatula (greasing it lightly helps), gently spread mixture to fit the pan. Lightly grease the back of a flat spatula and very gently press the mixture down into the pan. Do not pack it down with force, just lightly press down so it’s secure in the pan.
- Allow treats to set for at least 1 hour at room temperature and up to 1 day. Cover tightly if leaving out for more than a few hours.
- Lift the rice krispie treats as a whole out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares.
- Cover and store leftover treats at room temperature for up to 3 days. To store, place in layers between sheets of parchment or wax paper.