While Angela loves her hand drip, I prefer something sweet for my daily dose of coffee. Thus here we have Apple Cinnamon Latte – this creamy, slightly spicy apple spice latte is the perfect comforting drink to sip on. Easy enough to make for your morning coffee or an afternoon pick me up! This is an easy recipe that features healthy ingredients, so you’re doing something good for yourself.
How do I make a Latte?
First of all, what is a latte? A latte refers to a coffee drink made with espresso, steamed milk and foam. So how are we going to do that at home?
- For this particular recipe, we used our espresso machine – Essenza Mini that we have. It is sleek and light for a small kitchen like us and easy to operate. We uses our favourite blend from Starbucks.
- Add in the apple syrup, if it’s coming out of the fridge where it’s being stored, we would recommend heating it slightly with the milk or cream you will be using. This just helps to keep your coffee hot for drinking.
- If you want foam, you can try the pump frother we share with the Masala Chai Tea Latte recipe, while many recipie frothing with warm milk, however we find that frothing with cold milk works easier (it feel like beating cream).
Prepare the Apple Syrup ahead
While you can purchase the apple syrup in store, we prefer making them at home, as we can control the sweetness in it. This syrup is how we’re going to get flavour into our coffee. The flavour, when added to the coffee is mellow, not overpowering, and it definitely carries a hint of spice and apple. It’s perfectly balanced.
In a mason jar add in sliced apple, cinnamon stick and brown sugar. Layer the apple and sugar making sure it is combined well. Leave it in the fridge for 2 days or overnight. You will see the apple soften and release liquid making it into a syrup.
Easy dehydrated Apple using an Oven
To spice up the drink, we added homemade dehydrated apple on the drink for a crunch. We always thought that we need a dehydrated machine in order for us to dehydrate our fruits at home but we are wrong. Using low heat you can do so using an oven too, although more time is needed.
Preheat the oven to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. Core the apples and slice them into either rings or traditional slices. Keep the slices pretty thin. The more thin the slice, the crispier your dehydrated apples will be. Blot the apple slices or rings with a kitchen towel. Pack them nicely on the baking tray and dehydrate apples in the oven for between 1.5 hours. Let the apple chips cool completely. Place them in a sealed container. The apples will store at room temperature for weeks or in the refrigerator for months.
I can’t tell you enough about cinnamon. Cinnamon is an awesome spice to use and it goes great with something like apples in the morning or in a mixture of fruit or in your oatmeal or even in your cereal.Emeril Lagasse
Benefits of Apple
Apples are not just crunchy, sweet and satisfying. You’ve may hear it a zillion times: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Turns out there’s more truth to that than you might think. Studies show apples have powerful health benefits, particularly when it comes to fighting chronic diseases that kill millions of people each year.
- Protects your heart
- Boosts brain health
- May help you lose weight, but have it moderately
- Lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes
- Fights cancer
Prepare the apple syrup ahead and all you need is 10 minutes to make this drink. Give this recipe a try and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram as @leplaincanvas and use the #byplaincanvas hashtag. I love seeing your takes on my recipes!
Apple Cinnamon Latte
1 cup of warm milk + 1 cup of milk for frothing
3 tbsp of espresso
2 tbsp of apple syrup
- Apple Syrup
1 apple, sliced and seed removed
3 tbsp of brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
- Apple Syrup
- In a mason jar add in sliced apple, cinnamon stick and brown sugar. Layer the apple and sugar making sure it is combined well. Leave it in the fridge for 2 days or overnight. You will see the apple soften and release liquid making it into a syrup.
- Pour the 2 tablespoons of apple spice syrup, warm milk and frothed milk in your cup, the ratio to it is 1:4:2. Lastly, pour your espresso over slowly to create the layers. Decorate the latte with dried apple, cinnamon stick and cinnamon powder. Mix well before you enjoy.