Been out of ideas on what to cook during this #circuitbreaker, thus we decided to make some trending food on #tiktok like the Dalgona Coffee. We came across this #minipancake challenge and decided to make it. Pancake cereal is just pancakes, but mini, so cereal sized! I’m not going to lie—doing so is mostly for the TikTok videos and Instagram aesthetics. Why not?
That being said, if you’re a fan of crispy pancakes, this recipe is worth your try! The pancakes’ most petite-size makes the pancakes extra crispy and crunchy since there is less surface area for them to fluff up like regular pancakes. Typically, most TikTok tutorials instruct you to make the pancakes small enough to eat with a spoon. A spoonful of pancake cereal is pretty crispy; it’s almost similar to the crunchiness of a spoonful of real cereal.
However, if you think that you want to have more, you could also try out our Pancake Board.
Ways to eat the cereal pancake bowl?
Butter + Maple; Simple and sweet as we still want to taste the crispiness of the pancake. you can add in bacon too if you want something savoury.
Milk; This one is up to you too! We like my pancake cereal with just butter and syrup, but if you’re a milk lover, by all means, pour some milk on there. Just don’t be all crazy and put the milk in the bowl first.
Fruits like Berries; Feeling too simple? Add some berries in like what you did for the usual pancake!
Tips for making cereal pancakes:
- We use the usual pancake recipe that we always use. All you need is flour, milk, butter and egg, mix them well and fill it into a sauce bottle or a piping bag.
- Pipe the pancakes out smaller than you think – they will spread a tiny bit. If you want extra mini pancakes, your pancake batter should just be smaller than the size of a dime.
- If you’re not particular, use a giant flipper to flip all your pancakes at once. Or, use a pair of chopsticks to flip over each pancake individually. You can even just shake and toss the pan.
- If you want your pancakes to be warm, keep them warm in the oven. Because they’re so tiny, they don’t stay warm for very long. If you want warm pancakes, keep them warm in a low oven.
That’s it! Are you ready for breakfast in a bowl? Pancake cereal is just about the cutest thing you’ll ever make for breakfast. If you make it with our method, tag us on Instagram, we’d love to see.
Happy cereal pancake making!
Mini Cereal Pancake in a Breakfast Bowl
If you’re a fan of crispy pancakes, this recipe is worth your try! The pancakes’ most petite-size makes the pancakes extra crispy and crunchy since there is less surface area for them to fluff up like regular pancakes.
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder, see notes for substituting baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea or table salt
1 1/4 cups (295 ml) milk, dairy and non-dairy both will work
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and the salt in a medium bowl. Whisk milk, egg, melted butter, and the vanilla extract until combined.
- Pour the batter into a sauce bottle or a pipping bag.
- When your batter is ready, heat up a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Brush a thin layer of oil on your pan. Pipe out small pancakes or drop the batter by the 1/4 teaspoon and cook until small bubbles form on the surface and at the edges. Flip and continue cooking until golden brown, about 30 seconds more.