For those who visit our blog for the first time, we always love to share dumpling-making and experience a different type of recipe with you! This time we decide to share with you meat choice – beef dumpling. So those halal eaters you can enjoy this recipe at home too, join us for the Chinese New Year.
This post we will be sharing with you the different ways of wrapping it. Honestly is it the most simple thing to make even if you try it for the first time.
What makes a great filling for dumplings? I would say: Firstly, a nice balance between the main ingredients; Secondly, a great combination of flavours; and Lastly, a moist, juicy texture.
– Pork & Shrimp Filing; where the Beijing families enjoy.
– Tofu Filling; To make tofu filled dumplings, drain as much excess water as possible beforehand (You may do so by putting a heavy object onto the tofu block). If using soft tofu, it’s better to blanch it in boiling water for a few minutes. This will help it stay in shape without getting too mushy.
– Beef with Spring Onion; this time we are going to do something special the beef and spring onion dumpling. You will rarely see it as beef are easy to overcook. However, we tried and tested for you. It’s amazing!
You can choose the pattern(s) that suits your cooking method. For example, if the dumplings are to be boiled, they are less likely to retain a perfect look after cooking. So to save time, you could go for one of the simpler patterns. Whereas steaming or pan-frying wouldn’t affect the shape of the dumplings. So you could try some of the more intricate patterns instead.
The usual wrapping methods we make it at home.
1. Boxed Dumpling
2. Yuan Bao (Silver Ingot) Dumpling
3. Lettuce Shaped Dumpling
4. Classic Gyoza
5. Triangular Ingot Wonton/ Fish Shaped Wonton
Place the filling in the middle of the wrap. Using thumb and index finger of both hand fold in fold corners of the wrap toward the center and press tightly.
Yuan Bao (Sliver Ingot) Dumpling
Place the filling in the middle of the wrap. Fold the wrap into half to form a semi-circle and press tightly. Holding the two corners of the end, push evenly to each other.
Lettuce Shaped Dumpling
Place the filling in the middle of the wrap. Folding the wrap into half to form a semi-circle (but do not press tightly). Making fold like the gyoza dumpling method on both of the half semi-circle vertically. Tuck the wrap in at the end of the dumpling.
Homemade dumplings freeze very well. Right after they are assembled, lay them on a tray (dust with flour or line with parchment paper) to freeze. Then put them in an air-tight bag when totally frozen. Follow the same cooking procedure (do not defrost).
Give this recipe a try and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram as @leplaincanvas and use the #byplaincanvas hashtag. I love seeing your takes on my recipes!
Beef Dumpling with Spring Onion
400 g minced beef
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of spring onion, finely chopped
1 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp ground Sichuan pepper, or Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 egg yolk
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp of corn flour (or more)
- Combine all the ingridents, other then corn flour in a mixing bowl. Using a chopstick, swirl the mixture in one direction until no more liquid can be seen. Add in the corn flour and contiune swriling. Add more if the mixture is still too wet.