We fell in love with hummus the first time Angela tried it a few years ago, but we’ve always made the traditional version until I try a store-bought roasted red pepper hummus and it tastes even better! Unfortunately, the store-bought hummus had white sugar, refined sunflower oil and other nasty ingredients, so I prefer to make this homemade hummus and it tastes even better.
We eat hummus as an appetizer with some crudités (we love carrots!) or with homemade tortilla chips, salad dressing or as a side dish, but my favourite way to enjoy this delicious dish is spreading the hummus over a baked pizza crust and I also add chopped tomatoes, sweet paprika, extra virgin olive oil and some olives, it tastes really awesome!
Tip for you to make it simpler;
- Feel free to use store-bought roasted red peppers if you’re too busy.
- Roasted tahini also works and it tastes better, but raw tahini is more nutritious.
- You can see the roasted red peppers and the hummus texture in the food processor in the picture below.
- 1 julienned red bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (400g)
- 1 clove of garlic (remove the germ to improve your digestion)
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp raw tahini
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC. Roast the red pepper on a baking tray for 10 or 15 minutes. Let it cool. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or a blender until smooth.